Cape Wrath Trail

Cape Wrath Trail
Carrying 25 kg and feeling good

Tuesday 5 April 2016

The last real walk

It was only about 5 miles to Valor so I decided to add a bit of spice and distance by doing the "Sendero de Gerard Brennan" - a walk advertised as 1.9 km and one I naively believed would be easy and suited to elderly literary types. How stupid was that.
It was easily 3km long and OF COURSE there wasn't a flat second. In fact I was nearly tempted to give up. Thank goodness for poles because the ground was really slippery and I was alarmed at the risk if avalanches again.
The rainfall yesterday was the FIRST RAIN THIS YEAR in the region, and one man in a cafe described it as a drop in the ocean. So I hope there is more. But preferably not until I am home if course!
The high point of today was crossing the Roman bridge into Valor. It was closed last year and I had to cross using the modern road bridge.
It just felt like a massive privilege to cross the bridge and tread in the steps people have walked for hundreds of years.
Valor is mediaeval and steeper than anywhere except perhaps Bubion I think. There is a flat bit in the middle though!
After this beer I am going to check in to Los Arcos, find the bus stop for 5.55 in the morning (boo), and then explore properly. 

No comments: